Tuesday 7 April 2009

Big Day Out

It's three weeks since my accident, and I'm having to live life in the slow lane still. Popped into Heatherley's to say hello to staff and tutors on Friday - lovely to see everyone, and share some of my concerns with people whose right hands are the their livelihood! Recovery is going to take some time, as will getting used to my two ghost fingers (which I'm willing back to full health. Come on digits!) - but I will be getting on the painting/drawing wagon as soon as I can. I had my first solo expedition in ages the other day (bless), visiting the 'Mythologies' exhibition at the Haunch of Venison and then the Kuniyoshi prints exhibition at the Royal Academy. 'Mythologies' is fantastic, luring the spectator through labyrinthine passages of art (Christian Boltanski's shadow puppets and Polly Morgan's taxidermy stand out). Macabre and magical, it hinges on the idea of the 'Wunderkammer' or Cabinet of Curiosities - recreating the heavy, timeless atmosphere of monolithic establishments like the British Museum. Very thought provoking. Kuniyoshi on the other hand, was a real giggle. Forget beautiful geisha girls or lyrical Japanese landscapes, his samurais are the bomb.

No comments: